• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Water, Second Only to air...

rowjimmy

Purveyor of Truth
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #

Nitram68

FALaholic #
Funny, we can pipe oil everywhere but we don't pipe water around.
Got a pipe going right to my house.

Got a canal going right across my property.

They’re moving water around alright, there’s just not enough to make everyone’s lawn green in the desert.

Bwana John

FALaholic #
Funny, we can pipe oil everywhere but we don't pipe water around.
Think how much water would be saved just from evaporation changing canals to pipes.

Los Angeles takes water from the eastern Sierra Nevada 375 miles away and across the Mojave Desert but only uses pipes to create siphons for crossing ridges they don't blast a hole through or around.

Same with the All American Canal the brings water 85 miles to LA from the Colorado River.

Same with the Salt River Project across the Sonora Desert to Pheonix.

Never mind the evaporation from Lake Powell, Mead, Havasu, ect.

Last edited:

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Municipal to house with two meters. One high flow to feed F.D. standpipe we had installed to feed a 2.5" hose so the fighting can commence before they pull line to hydrant about 70 yards away. How many people look at fire hydrant locations relative to home location when house hunting? Second is 1" Schedule 80 from meter to cut off just outside foundation plus another just inside so have option to shut down without going outside.

Have old bored well that was capped over with slab of concrete. Pulled slab back, cleaned out the well of all the old silt, mud and trash, installed pump (didn't need much as only flows 6 gallons per minute in wet weather and three gallons in summer drought) that runs off 24 volts. Surrounded three sides by 55,000 acre lake near area Chattahoochee River feeds it so even if dam fails then old river bed is a few hundred yards away. Also a 24/7/365 stream that feeds into our cove and the one time our cove dried up due to record lake low the stream still was significant.

Have rain barrel and water tote system to catch and store most roof run off with brand new commercial 6" gutters. Have enough clean water inside to keep a dozen people alive and basic hygiene for over a month. Have a two micron silver impregnated ceramic water filter size of a fire extinguisher with pump rated to keep a dozen people supplied for a couple years with 35,000 gallons between filter changes. Even removes radioactive ash. Have four sizes of same brand filter designed for support of four people a year between filter change to single person for a year. have several other high end filters can keep running forever with regular maintenance.

Water is one of our smallest issues with pipe, hoses and various filters to bring it from lake to house using electricity or gasoline powered pumps. Can easily plumb it in to handle flushing of toilets without contaminating the water lines that move potable water. Was thinking of this when replumbed the house. clean air is handled as well, house can be sealed to point with positive pressure system that will not even allow chlorine gas or fumes from ethalyne oxide to infiltrate once seal the door jambs with duct tape and other areas for feel good and activate positive pressure 24/7/365 system can run off batteries for weeks.

Pnic room is sealed and has a "survival" air filtration system that filters all CBRN threats better than a NATO chemical suit or CBRN suit with mask. that will become mine and wife's bedroom if SHTF as has a 1/2 bath where water vent is protected from airborne pollution or even an attack to pump a gas in through waste water pipe. We can lock ourselves in for up to 90 days without hitting even a water issue to flush the toilet for two people.

Saw this posted elsewhere today. I suggest metal canisters which are kept in a media safe bolted into the bottom of a full sized vault for multiple layers of theft and fire protection. Many TL-15 and TL-30 large safes have a separate smaller vault with separate dial or keyed entry for cash and jewels built in which is a sunning solution. but even if government fails some may use currency for trade and even if not some is better to use as toilet paper instead of numbers on an account at the bank. i got out of the metal game last peak as post SHTF will be plenty of gold and silver in the homes of the dead. Believe it won't be much better than cash as people will want food, medications and fuel.

Cash001.jpg

Ones, fives, tens and twenties are great as many stores may continue to take cash till inventories run dry if credit cards and banks were on "lock down". Government has shut down the banks before and will do it again so only those with cash will be able to trade in the short term and have learned many retailers are much happier with fifties than hundreds for larger purchases. have not been in a Target in about a decade, needed some "real" luggage rather than duffel bags, gear bags and canoe bags we usually used on airplanes, trains and automobiles when traveling.

Target had some name brand quality luggage on sale so went in to get their full set which was in factory sealed wrap and boxed. Before ringing up clerk called for help and opened every piece, searching every pocket, pouch and cavity to make sure were not using to steal other items. Understood that as saw lady in grocery try to buy a trash can but would not remove lid for clerk saying it was stuck. Store security met her as went out door and trash can was over half full of steaks and sea food.

What did upset me was clerk called assistant manager to inspect my $100 bills but still would not take saying manager was on break and would have to wait another five to ten minutes as took three people to approve a purchase using more than one $100 bill. Have had same issue at other places so now use $50 bills which are almost as easy to carry and don't seem to draw the concern that $100s do.

TenTea

Contributor
FALaholic #
There have recently been some municipalities fighting over the "right" to pump fresh water from Lake Michigan to hydrate their businesses and citizens.

Much howling and gnashing of teeth.

Future wars will be fought over water, moreso than oil and fuel...do not doubt me! ;)

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
aaaand there's why we didn't move to the southwest. Messed up moving to Georgia though. Should have done Tennessee.
What part of Georgia? Here on the extreme north end of Lake Lanier in the foothills of the Applachia is relatively nice, calm but convienent to Metro ATL if have to have a big cities services. That said my favorite city to work cell tower/batteries when did Ma Bell subcontracting was Nashville. Favorite area to climb sandstone is Chattanooga. Almost anywhere between the two east toward NC is nice territory.

Extreme NE and extreme NW GA have specific benefits NE has 5,000 foot mountains, cooler summers, lakes, rivers and gateway to western NC big granite domes but poor medical care. Extreme NW has access to GA, TN and N AL sandstone, best caves in the country and close enough to Rome GA & Chattanooga Hospitals but Nooga has only trauma hospital can evacuate climbing injuries & more likely if using helicopter extraction they will come to Gainesville or on to Grady in ATL over the closer single trauma hospital in Nooga.

A wise old Cop once told me that most people think water flows down hill. He said, No. Water flows toward money, as long as there is money and water.
Why the SW rivers are empty. Read long time ago 70% of homes in Phoenix have pools and average pool loses 200+ gallons of water per day to evaporation. Phoenix area had more golf courses Per Capita of any similar size area and used more water to keep grass green than some similar size municipalities do for homes and businesses. That is from memory and was research done when regularly (every two years) flew into Phoenix for late winter/early spring rock climbing trip. Even years Vegas and odd years were Phoenix as early spring starting point ending up in Cascades.

Odd to see uninhabitable areas as flew over that would suddenly be size of Phoenix, Vegas, Tuscon, etc that would be huge green circle with tens of thousands swimming pools then turn to desert at edges of town. Municipal water fails and unsure if anyone can have enough water to survive long term without a daily firefight to control the head.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Huey,,,,

the population of AZ in 1900, was 124,000 people.

Today,,,,,a little over 7,000,000

Without electricity, you'd see the population of AZ go back to under 499,000 as fast as traffic flowed east on the interstate, or died of heat and water distress.

We have more than enough water in AZ for far more people than today, whats hurting us, farming and irrigation.

This is natural cattle country.

If folks want to raise cotton, soy beans, etc,,,, they need to do it down south, not do it in AZ.

When man uses the land as it was designed to be used by nature, we got no problems.

When man bends nature, we got the making of a disaster.

Turn off the power,,,,,,,millions will suffer/die here, survivors will be someplace else.

Gary Harwell

Becoming Embittered
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
T.Boone Pickens ,the Texas oil legend, abandoned oil back in the 80s-90s I believe, bought up a lot of the water rights north texas/oklahoma, ogalalla I think. He calculated he.his heirs would reap far more profits off water in the future than oil.
Close family friend with ranch getting hefty sum, staggering monthly income, and a free new mega diesel generator in the deal to fill all the stock tanks, for water rights in south Texas for renewed fracking, oops maybe Biden doesn't know the oil patch is still alive down south.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
My cousins in Texas have a 20,000 acre ranch/farm, uncle went to drill a well in the early 1960's and it was flowing so strong they drilled a second and larger well then a third. Now they sell water to surrounding farms and make more money off water than if they had hit oil. One well supplies their farm and the other two keep cattle and crops growing as far as people are willing to lay pipe.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
About turning nothing into money, day before broke foot left my three fastest computers on running Crypto mining software through my new Ma Bell fiber connection which is blazing fast leaving even Spectrum cable speeds in the dust. Been gone for fifteen days as of moment and going to try and see if able to walk in boot with good support long enough to go check mail, email and contact clients. Be interesting to see if or how many blocks may have gathered and if have some Crypto pulled out of thin air. If able to pull it out of thin air no way am I investing cash into Crypto as someday feel it may be of no value when someone figures out how to mine it like sand.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Why automated 90% of situational awareness and changed my work focus. Luckily am flexible and if have to go back to HVAC service and locksmith work will be able to pay bills. Living debt free with no house, business or vehicle payments is freeing. Also why never pull savings for toys, some months may buy a nice gun a week then next month can't buy a box of ammo due to ebb and flow of cash that doesn't affect life if caught on fire. When times are tight play with the toys already have, cash in pocket put 1/3 to 1/2 back and spend the rest. Someday bullets will be worth more than silver and gold by weight. When have excess rather buy bullets than hide more pieces of paper.

Tak

FALaholic #
What part of Georgia? Here on the extreme north end of Lake Lanier in the foothills of the Applachia is relatively nice, calm but convienent to Metro ATL if have to have a big cities services. That said my favorite city to work cell tower/batteries when did Ma Bell subcontracting was Nashville. Favorite area to climb sandstone is Chattanooga. Almost anywhere between the two east toward NC is nice territory.

Extreme NE and extreme NW GA have specific benefits NE has 5,000 foot mountains, cooler summers, lakes, rivers and gateway to western NC big granite domes but poor medical care. Extreme NW has access to GA, TN and N AL sandstone, best caves in the country and close enough to Rome GA & Chattanooga Hospitals but Nooga has only trauma hospital can evacuate climbing injuries & more likely if using helicopter extraction they will come to Gainesville or on to Grady in ATL over the closer single trauma hospital in Nooga.

Why the SW rivers are empty. Read long time ago 70% of homes in Phoenix have pools and average pool loses 200+ gallons of water per day to evaporation. Phoenix area had more golf courses Per Capita of any similar size area and used more water to keep grass green than some similar size municipalities do for homes and businesses. That is from memory and was research done when regularly (every two years) flew into Phoenix for late winter/early spring rock climbing trip. Even years Vegas and odd years were Phoenix as early spring starting point ending up in Cascades.

Odd to see uninhabitable areas as flew over that would suddenly be size of Phoenix, Vegas, Tuscon, etc that would be huge green circle with tens of thousands swimming pools then turn to desert at edges of town. Municipal water fails and unsure if anyone can have enough water to survive long term without a daily firefight to control the head.
South of Cartersville.

It's not the natural resources that have made me regret my choices, it's a certain percentage of the population that just gets more and more uncivilized every year. Didn't think it was going to be a problem but now if feels like, it's going to be a problem that just gets worse long term.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
If moved out of NE GA would not mind being tucked up around La Fayette in NW GA but south of Cartersville has grown up really bad. We are right on edge of being too close. South Hall has blown up but area I live between lake, farms and multigenerational homes be hard for expansion to over run us in my lifetime. Someone has to die before house hits market around me and most the kids or grandkids remodel and move in. Three sides surrounded by water makes expansion difficult.