• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Savage 110 .308

ArtBanks

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
I don't understand all the changes; to the stock , the barell, whatever, etc. I traded into a 308 110 model. It shoots less than 1 MOA out of the box.

Why would I change the stock, barrel, or anything else.

My oldest son shot his first Hog at 160 yards with it. That pissed me off. It's now his gun.

I gave it to him because he took first animal life with it.

It is now his sniper rifle.I like passing on the heritage.
Because there are some of us that desire sub 1/2 moa out of a bolt rifle. Whatta Hobby!

ArtBanks

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
Makes all the difference. As shown , a little work can make a 1" shooter into a 1/4" just by getting the right powder charge figured out. As you can see, less than a quarter grain one way or the other and it goes from being quite accurate to just pretty good. Worth the effort in my opinion. Whatta Hobby!

mutter

FALaholic #
I understand your thoughts on this situation. But when your age and eyes get to my stage and the only thing you're shooting at is a deer at 100 yards, what difference does it make.

I'm shooting deer not paper.

ArtBanks

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
I understand your thoughts on this situation. But when your age and eyes get to my stage and the only thing you're shooting at is a deer at 100 yards, what difference does it make.

I'm shooting deer not paper.
I hear you. I gave up hunting deer 30+ years ago, not because I couldn't see them but because I was seeing my own mortality and found them to be fun to watch their antics on my range. Now at 75+ years old I enjoy challenging myself in a discipline that I can use better optics to overcome the decrease in natural eyesight. So wonderful to have choices. The older I get the more I enjoy watching wildlife in my yard. Whatta Hobby!

Deer on range..JPG Bear 3.jpg ducks.jpg Range 3.jpg Range 4.jpg Wood duck..jpg

STG_58_guy

I'm not this cute IRL
Platinum Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I have two 10-FCPSs in .308 and a BVSS in 22-250, all with accutriggers and modest optics. I used to shoot 0.5 MOA out of one 308 and the 22-250 but I'm out of practice. You must practice regular to shoot 0.5 MOA I think.

Can't say enough good about them. Even wlith fancy case I got less than $1500 into any of them, not including ammo.

ArtBanks

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
I have two 10-FCPSs in .308 and a BVSS in 22-250, all with accutriggers and modest optics. I used to shoot 0.5 MOA out of one 308 and the 22-250 but I'm out of practice. You must practice regular to shoot 0.5 MOA I think.

Can't say enough good about them. Even wlith fancy case I got less than $1500 into any of them, not including ammo.
So important to shoot more. I am fortunate enough to have a 300 yd range just out my front door that was part of my reasoning for buying this property 50 years ago. Been shooting between 5K and 10K of .308 for decades and picked up the tempo since full retirement a couple of years ago. The Savage rifles have proven themselves for sure and with the ease of changing barrels and calibers, just the cat's meow. Whatta Hobby!

ArtBanks

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
1st of April with no breeze, overcast and 40 deg. Shot a 10 kills out of 25 so I am very pleased with this rifle and ammo. All 25 shots were sub moa with the barrel getting hot. No time or cooling between shots for this test. 110 gn Sierra varminters over 41.4 gn of Varget in Lapua cases set off with 210Ms. Whatta Hobby!

IMG_6174.JPG

Saint Nam

FALaholic #
I have a 110 in 7mm rem mag. 30 yrs old. Never over 1” at 100 yds. Years ago at the range , a young man at the next bench at the range said he’d never shot a 7mm RM. He proceeded to cloverleaf 3shots, with MY gun. ! I suspect he was military, as his hair was high and tight! Best now group is .349”. Borescope shows lands are chewed up for about 2 inches up the spout. Not gonna rebarrel until groups grow. So, yeah, Savages can shoot with the right nut behind the bolt!

ArtBanks

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
The plan is to chose a different bullet from the stash that can seat into the neck more than 1/8" like the 110s. They are a fun projectile but the BTO does not allow for proper neck tension. Next time I re-barrel this rifle will be with a much shorter throat. This one is chambered for M118 . Whatta Hobby!

bubbagump

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #