• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

My Search for Nambian/SA G3 Furniture

PaPM85

FALaholic #
Hello all! I've been a fan of the G3/HK91 for some time now. Recently, I've discovered that the South Africans worked with Choate manufacturing to design furniture for the G3 and not only does it look awesome, it slightly enhances the functionality of the rifle as well. I've decided I must have a set, regardless of the cost, for my PTR-91. Only problem is, I can't find a single set for sale anywhere. Are they really that rare? Seems like some plastic made in bulk quantity for South African/Nambian military would be easier to come by. Any advice or lines on where to aquire a SA handguard, stock or both would be greatly appreciated.

PaPM85

FALaholic #
What you seek is rare and stupid expensive. Once you've found your unicorn you may also find that it adds pounds to the rifle and almost two inches to the length of pull. At least, it feels like it. I had it, couldn't wait to sell it.
For me, it's 100% about the aesthetic and cool factor. If I wanted the G3 to be a good shooter, I'd install a spuhr stock or buy a modern DMR

ridgerunner1488

FALaholic #
What you seek is rare and stupid expensive. Once you've found your unicorn you may also find that it adds pounds to the rifle and almost two inches to the length of pull. At least, it feels like it. I had it, couldn't wait to sell it.
I just had to have a set.
Back when they were everywhere
Installed it shot maybe 20 rounds took it off and sold the whole set.

ridgerunner1488

FALaholic #
Where are all these sets now?
Don’t know
I found mine at a gunshow if I remember correctly I paid $150.
And after I tried it I sold it for $175.
They look really good but they are very uncomfortable to shoot.
This coming from a guy that has a 14 3/4 inch pull on most weapons

Laufer

FALaholic #
Many of these sets are in deceased guy's gun safes or storage boxes which their widows and children know nothing about.

Example, I'm 67, only survived a heart attack in 2017 via about three Miracles that day.
Nobody knew that I had a 98-100% blocked Widowmaker artery, because my cardiologist (--three days Before the Myo. Infarction...--) had no treadmill avail that day, and my Resting Pulse was Fine.

This is just one tiny sample among thousands of single and married guys, many of whom have so much unique stuff that their surviving family know nothing about, unless a long, written paper list is kept in the open.

Last edited:

Orion the Hunter

FALaholic #
I also felt like I had to have one….so I hunted and searched and finally located the HG….but never realized that there was a Stock or PG for it (duh).

So, whatever….the HGs looks pretty cool I suppose.

MSTN

FALaholic #
I'm an FFL gun pimp for a savvy collector. I scored this set off GB two years ago for him for around $550, as I recall:

IMG_0790.jpeg

For best effect, he is going to display it on a PARS import G3 clone.

72047779206__B0312613-8A30-443B-B977-EEBB5607D77D.jpeg

FALaholic #
IMG_20231220_201733041.jpg

I did notice that the 2 handguards I have are slightly different finishes with the top being a bit lighter and more of a camo look, and the bottom being darker and more solid looking all around.

gunplumber

Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Top one was sandblasted and reparked, I think. I noticed that there is a marble type finish in the coloration of the initial casting (yellow tendrils), but I also noticed in the dozens I processed back in the day, that they appeared to have been submerged in an aioinic? dye (Ritt) after the fact, which solidified their coloration but not "deep".

A vapor blasting removed the surface coloration, leaving an increased emphasis on the yellow tendrils.

15 minutes in a 200 degree F bath of forest green Ritt dye with a cup of salt to the bath, will bring back the dark color. I dyed a boatload of Grey HK SL8s and USC 45s to black back in the day.

hk-sl8-202 (2).jpg

NK2000

FALaholic #
For those that cannot find the stock and pistol grip for a Namibian build, I got my standard G3 green stock and pistol grip to match the dull finish of the Namibian handguard by sanding them down. For me, the stock and grip were beat to shit to start with, so I sanded off the shiny orange-skin to a flat finish that looks more close to the flat finish of the handguard. I also got rid of the mould mark/lines and imperfections on the stock to get a smooth finish this way. It looks like all the parts belong together now.

On a PTR with a black furniture, I coated a Namibian handguard with black fridge spray paint that was sprayed into a bowl and thinned down then I applied in three coats with a rag. I even got the sheen to match that of the PTR stock. I can remove the paint if I change my mind in the future, but for now, both rifles look very nicely matched.

gunplumber

Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Some of the Namibian furniture was painted black after the fact. I sandblasted the paint off a lot of the black sets because I preferred the green. The result of sandblasting was the discolored one in above photo.

I don't know if the black paint was done in RSA or in the USA, but I have seen enough of them and "re-done" enough of them to recognize what caused the color difference.

AGG

FALaholic #
Hmm - I had a bunch of them back in the day. I don't think Choate had anything to do with it - it was an RSA Automotive company IIRC.

View attachment 368827
Just a little information: ;)

- Namibian furniture (original, green, FMP, plastic furniture (slimline forearm) would shrink, secondary to heat and UV exposure in South Africa, and fitment became an issue (i.e., furniture began to “rattle”)

a) new wide forearm manufactured by Choate Machine & Tool Company (new polymer formula; extends to the rear to the front of the receiver at the magazine well (v. to the base of the barrel); left and right side- 7 vent holes 1 vent hole; underneath- 5 vent holes 1 vent hole; bipod attachment point at the front and bipod cutouts)

b) new stock manufactured by ? (based on the FAL- “hump” on top rear; rubber buttpad; sling swivel on bottom; no 2 pin holes or sling attachment at the rear like the FMP G3; heavy buffer)

c) same green, FMP pistol grip and plastic charging handle

Tony