• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

More DSA shit quality control

gunplumber

Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
A beautiful build with wood furniture. New DSA 1-10 barrel.

Last step on reassembly, insert gas plug.

It won't fit, because the gas block is defective - the lobe clearance isn't deep enough.

And I've got a full day labor into this, and have to pull the barrel and start over.

I'm so pissed!

And yeah, just in case anyone wonders. Another FN plug won't fit either and both fit easily into an IMBEL gas block.

And yea, I know the selector doesn't match, that's just a temporary so I could testfire - the DSA R marked selector is defective as expected - they all suck - I forgot to re-machine it earlier.

_MG_2152.JPG _MG_2153.JPG

gunplumber

Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
The defective chambers I think, were just on a run of Israeli barrels. Although plenty more with the defective chamber chamfer that caused rounds to come full stop - and not repairable as the overall depth of the chamfer is correct, so it can't be recut. fal-dsa-barrel-chamber-chamfer-01.jpg

I just got two of those in for rebarrel.

EinheitElf

FALaholic #
Damn, now I need to go look at a new dsa short gas kit I bought here on the mp a couple months ago...the complete kit was never built up
So if the barrel has that big chamfer on it I am fooked?
Never even knew about this issue ..
Sorry you have to deal with that issue and thank you for posting the issues!! 20240102_142929.jpg

Am I fooked??

Last edited:

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I am dead serious when I say your clients are blessed to have you. Most “gunsmiths” would give up, or halfass it and screw it up, then give up.
Yup. People are quick to bitch about Mark but nobody has done the amount of good for the FAL rifle than Mark.

AFA DSA's QC, I don't know how they stay in business.

burtman

Contributor
FALaholic #
AFA DSA's QC, I don't know how they stay in business.
This is the trainload method, If they send out a trainload and only get back a train car they believe they are doing well, It is the excuses they give for poor craftsmanship that trouble me.

Last edited:

Orion the Hunter

FALaholic #
So, Mark…ya, I have one of those Izzy Barrels as well. I just checked mine and it is “squared” off (no chamfer) like you mentioned.

I only shot it a couple times….and haven’t shot it since (another safe queen).

Question: So if I am correct, the best check is to just go shoot the dang thing and see if it Jams up…correct?

Anything else I could do? Any risks (other than wear safety glasses or have your wife shoot it instead haha)?!?!

EinheitElf

FALaholic #
How about illustrate the issue to dsa and tell them defective and a safety hazard,demand a new barrel?

Not trying to come off as a dick but that is what I would do.
If Mark would have told me my new barrel was shit in the kit I just bought I would be all over their ass.

gunplumber

Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
So, Mark…ya, I have one of those Izzy Barrels as well.
The issue with "some" of the Izzy barrels (and it was only one that I received, several that Adam received) was that the chambers were cut roughly and then chromed. The hard Chrome made it such that they could not be easily finish-reamed to correct dimensions. The result was the case would stick in the chamber and the extractor would rip the rim off the case. Adam762 did a thread on this subject.

What he did was to plug the bore and acid-treat the chamber to remove the chrome for finish reaming.

What I did was to burn out a $150 HSS chamber reamer and then finish polish with "flex hone" chamber polishing abrasives. Both cost more in material and labor than replacing the barrel, but DSA does not include the labor involved in un-fucking their shit, with the so-called "warranty" At some point, I just have to move to the next order.

This thread is not about that. This thread is about a different DSA fuck-up. Gas block. Which is not common. But it's still a fuck-up worthy of public notice. The customer is going to supply a different barrel. I will return the barrel to the customer with the defective gas block and let him deal with DSA. I haven't the time or interest to third-party warranty argue with the clowns at The Chicago Way. But I get to build the rifle twice for the fee of doing so once.

As to "illustrating to DSA"? If they gave a fuck they'd have quality control (haven't heard them mentioning ISO 9000 for while, have we?) that wouldn't allow this shit to happen in the first place. But they don't give a fuck. DSA has a 30 year history of KNOWINGLY AND WILLINGLY DUMPING DEFECTIVE SHIT ON THE MARKET - why would today be different? I'm not saying that they knew this particular gas block was shit - just that there is no history of them giving a fuck one way or another.

Last edited:

EinheitElf

FALaholic #
Ok , sorry if I contributed to topic derail but again thank you for posting and THANKS! For letting me know my barrel should be ok,fine.
Now back to topic...does dsa make their own gasplugs as well as gasblocks? The gas plug that came with my short gas works fine and I was wondering IF they do make their own plugs would it be possible the gas block would work with their gas plug? Is the plug supplied for the build milsurp or dsa made(if they do)?

Just tossing that out there. I have no idea if they do,if the 1 in my kit is/is not milsurp...just came to me.... could not hurt to confirm source of the plug.

gunplumber

Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Now back to topic...does dsa make their own gasplugs as well as gasblocks?
Yes, many DSA gas plugs are "nitride" instead of chrome - one of the reasons I'm no fan of nitride. Regardless of it's paper-specs, it does not hold up like hard chrome. They'd rust, as would their black nitrided pistons. Then they did NP3 from Krowbar, which was decent - I cut my teeth with Robbie "they may be white, but they're still fucking Keffars" Barkmann (he forgot to turn the intercom off) at RoBar. So am intimately familiar with nickel teflon coatings. And nickel teflon with a stress reliving bake to reduce hydrogen embrittlement is a kick-ass coating.

DSA still seems to currently use a nickel-Teflon coating on their pistons, which is identified by they gray versus silver white color. It's a great finish. Much better than the cheaper nitride shit they did for a time. Whoever they are using - KEEP USING THEM - Good Stuff! (RoBar went out of business shortly after that retired Marine bought the company - not sure of the details.

And yes, DSA makes their own gas blocks. Or somebody makes them for DSA, whatever . ..

When Parkerizing, they show a much larger dark, induction heat treat half circle zone around the front lobe area than GI. "Harder" is not necessarily better. Which is why I think the original FN spec for differential induction heat treat on receivers is far superior to DSA's "heat treat the fuck out of the whole thing so a file bounces off" is not an improvement. It causes receiver warpage, which DSA sells anyway, knowing they are defective - it's "The Chicago Way"

And the DSA gas blocks have failed, although in 30 years of building rifles, I've never seen a GI (FN, Argy, IMBEL) fail like this. But again, not common. Just a couple. But I think it indicates that FN knew 70 years ago what DSA just won't acknowledge. Follow the fucking spec that worked and stop being creative/cheap. Sometimes you just can't make a better mousetrap, so make the one that works.

fal-dsa-gasblock-broken-01.jpg

Last edited:

Enquiring Minds

Contributor
FALaholic #
And yes, DSA makes their own gas blocks. Or somebody makes them for DSA, whatever . ..

... But I think it indicates that FN knew 70 years ago what DSA just won't acknowledge. Follow the fucking spec that worked and stop being creative/cheap. Sometimes you just can't make a better mousetrap, so make the one that works.
This was my logic for always doubting--and never buying--a Williams "AL-oo-MIN-yum" (those goofy Brits) Explod-o-matic FAL Upper, i.e. are you telling me FN, The Official Armory/Arsenal of NATO, engineered and mass-produced an Al-alloy Lower, but "forgot" to do an Upper? Fook No, they DID make a few prototypes, and found out exactly what we did--it can't take the pounding, aka Brittle Failure, aka Yield Strength and Toughness are 2 different parameters for a reason.

Good shit.
A shame that khunt that got banned is missing this....
Even if he saw it, he'd miss it.
Ooooh!... bah-DUM-TSSsss! *rimshot*

Last edited: