• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Lets talk canoeing.

gevarm96

FALaholic #
Year ago my wife & I went on our first canoe trip, had a hoot.

She sits in the front of the boat doing most the work (she really does enjoy it) while I get to look at her butt. Its a win win.

So I found us a canoe locally & I talked the guy into partially trading for 40 ammo, ha!
IMG_3375.jpeg
I’m gonna build a better rack for my car, this was to just get it home.

I want to clean it up, shine it up. I got some aluminum polish around here somewhere. Plan is to clear a spot in my shop & hang it by bicycle hooks to keep it out of the weather. Guy bought it new in 1978 & it doesn’t look beat up at all, just dirty.

Need to buy some paddles, I talked the guy into throwing in life vests.

Theres a small lake just east of town & I’m trying to track down who owns land next to it so we can put in & practice before we hit the river.

My wife even found a combination swim suit floaty thing for our boy & look forward to introducing him to the water. Very safely & slowly of course.

So from more experienced paddlers out there what tips & tricks can you share with us? Stories & pictures! What advice ya got for the newbies? Thanks!

Attachments:

easttex

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
We had aluminum canoes like that in Boy Scouts. They had floatation foam in the ends and were surprisingly stable and unswampable. Also unsinkable.

Part of canoing merit badge entailed swamping and unswamping the canoe as well and climbing in/out of them. I also discovered it would sink to about chest height and no further. I got a lot of funny looks paddling around Lake Murvaul chest deep in the lake.

Advice for newbies? Well, start by reading up on the pertinent state boating regs pertaining to canoes. You don't need to register one in Texas if you don't put a motor on it, but it depends on where you live. Do wear life jackets and keep a couple floatation cushions onboard; mostly to sit on. Have a length of nylon rope on hand. Otherwise, just get out there and work on your rowing technique. There's a trick to two people rowing and it takes practice to get into a rhythm.
Have fun!

Colts4me

FALaholic #
When the gang was a lot younger we would go camp for the weekend at Suttle lake. Back then they rented out kayaks and canoes, damn that was fun.

yovinny

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
That gray color is an oxidation layer thats tougher and protects the aluminum underneath, its the natural action of aluminum to protect itself and not something you need or want to scrub all off.
And yes, ditch the old life jackets and get some new flotation devices. I read almost daily on my fishing site of another drowned kayaker. With kayak fishing increasing in popularity, they seem to be stacking up like cord wood already this year.

Tuhlmann

Owner of the Boner
Contributor
FALaholic #
Pre-making lanyards to tie gear to your canoe is cheap insurance against losing it in a spill. I also suggest intentionally tipping/swamping your canoe (assuming it has floatation) and getting it emptied and upright in water that is deeper than you are. A bail bucket an a large sponge should always be in your canoe kit. A folding 3lb river anchor is also a nice accessory to have onboard.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083TDM1XR/?tag=akfnfal-20

Mounting inexpensive rope cleats on the bow & stern can come in handy, too.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009G7OL7G/?tag=akfnfal-20

V guy

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I last canoed on labor Day in 1974, with a pretty woman on lake Pleasant in Speculator, NY.

Last time for both.

ICE1210

FALaholic #
Don’t take the kid until you know what you’re doing. One bad experience can put them off of canoeing for life. When you do take the kid bring sunscreen, cold drinks, and rain gear. Let someone who’s not going with you know where you’re going and a general plan. That way someone knows when and where to start looking if things go really wrong.

jt59

FALaholic #
My son was in scouts and we did a lot of canoe trips. Get properly fitting and comfortable flotation. Practice everything on a small lake before hitting a river.

PRSmith

FALaholic #
Like they said, buy new personal flotation devices.
And check the canoe flotation to make sure it still works. I inherited a canoe from the sixties, kept it and very rarely used it. Convinced my son to take it to a neighbors swimming pool, put it in and see if the flotation in the bow and stern still worked. One did and the other did not. So at least some canoe flotation fails with time.
Canoes are a lot of fun but they can be tippy for the beginner. BSA actually outlawed them early on due to the very high drowning rates associated with them.

Mbell

FALaholic #
Love canoeing brother and as mentioned get new personal floatation vests. Hope you have some great times ahead. Great way to see wildlife.

lew

FALaholic #
Thanks for starting this thread. Reminded me I need to get some kayaks and ancillaries on the list.

RG Coburn

FALaholic #
Mine is a little 13 foot Radisson that needed some love. All the foam was euchred,but it still had all its metal parts. I replaced the side sponsons,and had a local sprayfoam guy line the inner hulkl with about an inch or so of foam. Made it pretty quiet,and stable.And still fairly light.

Orion the Hunter

FALaholic #
Beer Cans….Bic Lighter….and Duct Tape!

I live in Alaska and have been canoeing for many years in lakes and rivers.

Fact: In the Mid 70’s, my Dad and a friend of his (commercial diver) won a canoe race on the Kenai River…pretty cool!

My canoe story…a friend of mine and several parents went on the Swanson River Canoe Trip.

We Just got started in a “all day trip” when we got crossed up in a shot of rapids. We swamped the dang thing and had to have help freeing it up (I was about 14 or 15 at the time) while the front paddler was about 10. Anyway, during the recovery…we discovered we had this created a nice sizable crack in the bottom…and we still had +8 hours to go!

So, we thought maybe we could just Bail our way down?…certainly not that much water would pour in right? We got a couple beer cans and cut the tops off and then tried out our plan…LOL! Ya…NOT HAPPENING! For every (2) scoops of beer-can water…2 gallons of river water sprung in the boat!

Of course, it was typical Alaskan Weather (rain). FORTUNATELY…one of the other parents brought DUCT TAPE…whilst another had a bic lighter.

We took the canoe out of the water and tipped it upside down and covered ourselves under a poncho. Then, heated up the cracked area (actually, it was a double crack…one was about 10” and the other one was about 6” about 45 degrees off ).

We lit the area to dry it off (fiberglass canoe) and stuck down the duct tape to patch it.

The freaking thing held like a rock! Through scrapes and drags…through the fast rapids at the end….never freaking leaked a bit!

So, couple of learned lessons…

#1. Easier to fix Fiberglass or Plastic in the Field (could always bring a fiberglass repair kit if necessary… or duct tape haha)

#2. Are you going hunting? Use a Plastic Coleman …they are the quietest. (Fiberglass and Aluminum are noisy)

#3. Gotta portage? Plastic is lightest and easier to pack!

#4. Going for strength…aluminum is tougher…no doubt.

#5. Easiest to tip over? Plastic (Coleman’s etc) are freaking WAY TIPPY! Especially the shorter they are !

#6. Always bring a spare paddle!

#7. Quality Duct Tape is your friend!

gevarm96

FALaholic #
Thanks for all the advice guys!

Yeah we are going to practice first before our boy comes along, hopefully on a pond.

I didn’t know the outer layer of oxidation on the aluminum is okay. I spent hours, days helping dad polish out his 359 as a boy. Tanks, wheels, etc couldn’t look at the stupid thing if the sun was out.

Anchor. Just a few pounds on the end of a rope? I wouldn’t imagine it has to be very fancy. I do need some rope.

Yeah the guy kept going on about having the ends filled with floatation, didn’t know what that meant. And the bottom of the inside was lined with some sort of bed liner material which seems like a nice touch.

Definitely going to get some foam ass pads. Figure they can double as a little floaty to tie gear to?

RG Coburn

FALaholic #
I use that two-part metal epoxy you get at auto stores,to fix holes in aluminum. scrape the spot down to clean surface,knead a cut off chunk of epoxy stick,and splat it on there. Let sit over night while to sleep.Probably stronger than original aluminum,new.But that tape/can/lighter method is going into the ship's log.

Deltaten

FALaholic #
Sit?
In a canoe?
Sacrilege!

Mebbe while drift fishin' or enjoying a BJ....
Ya kneel on yer floatation pad w/yer butt up against the "seat". Lower CoG, Best ergonomics for paddling and lower profile....fer sneeking up on the fishies 😉