• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Anyone ever eat Sweet Potato vine leaves as a substitute for Spinach?

Jarhead504

FALaholic #
I was looking up videos on youtube on "How To Grow Sweet Potatoes" and one of the growers mentioned that the leaves could be used as a substitute for spinach, but he did not expound from there. I was going to ask you preppers if you have ever tried them. We have some beautiful organic sweet potato vines all over the yard this year and it would be great to be able to eat the leaves too.

TIA,
Jarhead

Illurian00

FALaholic #
My mom and gramma used to stuff grape leaves w/ rice & meat stuff & bake them. Tasty side dish on high holy days.
Never heard of eating sweet potato leaves,,,now I'm on the hunt..:)

hawk962

FALaholic #
Haven't tried sweet potato leaves, but we can vouch for leaves of beets. They are good in a salad or cooked like spinach. Actually, so are the leaves from broad leaf plantain. Just make sure you cut them before they get large, same with beets.

starbuck

Contributor
FALaholic #
There are plenty of things that are edible but still don't really qualify as food. The only tasty greens I've eaten were kale picked after frost. Beets, chard, mustard, brassica leaves, all tasted horribly bitter in the Ohio summer.

Jarhead504

FALaholic #
There are plenty of things that are edible but still don't really qualify as food. The only tasty greens I've eaten were kale picked after frost. Beets, chard, mustard, brassica leaves, all tasted horribly bitter in the Ohio summer.
Greens do not do well in the summer and will get nasty, inedible bitter. That goes for all of them after they "bolt". The Bitter Greens, like the ones you mentioned and others such as collard and turnip are all good for your colon. One of the health problems in this country is that Americans do not eat enough Bitter Greens.

Jarhead

Last edited:

Jarhead504

FALaholic #
You all may want to be careful about eating leaves like that.
For instance, I have been told that potato and tomato leaves are somewhat poisonous.
True, but Sweet Potatoes and NOT Nightshades, they are related to the Morning Glory family. You're not even supposed to eat RAW white potatoes, so I've heard.

Jarhead

ftierson

FALaholic #
True, but Sweet Potatoes and NOT Nightshades, they are related to the Morning Glory family. You're not even supposed to eat RAW white potatoes, so I've heard.

Jarhead
Your body can't break down the cellulose in raw white potatoes, so you can't get anything out of them, nutrition-wise, until you cook them (which breaks down the cellulose and 'frees up' the starches within).

I don't think that there's any particular danger in eating raw white potatoes...

Then again, I've been wrong before... :)

Forrest

tommygun2000

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Potato vine plant leaves are packed with nutrients. The leaves are an excellent source of antioxidants and contain high levels of vitamin A and C, as well as riboflavin, thiamin, folic acid, and niacin. Sweet potato vine leaves also provide impressive amounts of fiber, along with calcium, magnesium, manganese, zinc, copper, potassium, and iron.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Potato Vine Plant Leaves: Are Sweet Potato Leaves Edible? https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/sweet-potato/are-sweet-potato-leaves-edible.htm