• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Aimpoints and astigmatism....2 MOA vs 4 MOA dot

Carolina Slim

FALaholic #
I've got an Aimpoint Comp M3 with 2 moa dot that I bought 2011-ish or so still works great but I'm starting to notice the "star" effect because of my astigmatism more and I'm debating replacing it. Curious to know if the 4 moa dot Comp M3 is less "star" like for users with astigmatism.

Armsdad

FALaholic #
I have astigmatism. Must be pretty bad. I can't use any type red dot unless it's a small dot . $59 sight to $900 it dont matter..And like Mark said. Find the center of the ball of bright yarn and go with it. Fast and up close is it what those sights are for anyhow. I can use a rifle scope with cross hairs so long as it has adjustable focus.Ive took shooting glasses and cut a round hole in a sticker and find where I need to place it on my glasses. It works for shooting iron sights. Peep sights also help a little.

cruzie27

FALaholic #
I have to turn my Aimpoint sights WAY down to get a clear dot. Usually only do that when zeroing the rifle. The rest of the time I just center the red blur and send it. I do better with a EoTech, the reticule is pixilated, but the center dot is usually clear.

NK2000

FALaholic #
Some of the red dots out there are so crappy that the user is convinced that he has astigmatism. I had my kid look through my red dot and he could see a bug splatter just as I did.

Regal Beagal

FALaholic #
I've got an Aimpoint Comp M3 with 2 moa dot that I bought 2011-ish or so still works great but I'm starting to notice the "star" effect because of my astigmatism more and I'm debating replacing it. Curious to know if the 4 moa dot Comp M3 is less "star" like for users with astigmatism.
Well, I'm in the same boat I have two Aimpoints that due to my own astigmatism are useless. With age it only gets worse. I also have 2 scopes that have illuminated reicles that are a tad bit better but it's still a lil blury. I'll probably end up selling the Aimpoints and buying prism scopes, like the Primary Arms Cyclops 2x, etc... Wish you the best of luck..

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I have very pronounced astigmatism but first I have a darn good eye doctor and optician. Have been wearing same three pair of Costa Del Mar (Level 2 safety rated frame) for a decade but most recent exam while still slightly better than 20/20 in my Costas (lenses done by local optician not Costa) my prescription changed 0.25 power in both eyes. Found a Level 4 Safety rated Wiley X frame I liked so ordered two pair (one super dark tint other tinted just to level others cant see my eyes through lenses) and due to some factory rules (Costa and Oakly do the same now) prescription lenses have to be factory installed unless you buy sunglasses then find an optician willing to make your lenses.

I have suffered from migranes since 2007-2009 when broke to vertebrae in my neck when rear ended by driver texting but in scans of neck tumor was found early stage one which was the Silver lining. The light induced migranes are most likely caused by the treatment of tumor as it was on pituitary gland which sits right between the optic nerves going to eyes. Now even at night I wear what most consider dark lenses and daylight darkest tint whoever makes lenses can do. These new Wiley X are much wider than the Costas and the lighter tint is a greenish color that makes me look like some sort of lizard or alien but work extremely well with night vision.

I keep two pair of contact lenses in every LBE along with pair of Oakley standard tint lenses in case glasses fail or get lost in a fracas. I run a lot of red dots and majority are C More aluminium chassis Railways so I can change dot sizes at will and have least issues with astigmatism regardless of dot size with the C More design. If putting a dot on rifle may want a magnifier if it's a good enough rifle it gets a SIG Romeo 4T and if it's a bargain build usually opt for the Romeo 5 due to how rugged it is for its price point but it's no 4T. I get some slight oval shape and sometimes "figure 8" with super cheap import red dots I put on top of pretty much every scoped rifle I own as a CQ option if walking to a stand/blind and deer hops out running fifty feet away and rifle has 6-30x scope as plan was hunting a power line or south Georgia soy bean field with 500 plus yard shots.
Try installing BUIS that co-witness and keep the peep raised. For whatever reason the peep helps eliminate the star. I have a LPVO with illuminated dot in center of retical. Not a bit of haze.
I have found above quote to be accurate if running cowitnessed BUIS sights, have picked up friends rifles to have red dots flaring, figure 8 or badly ovaled and if they have cowitnessed their sights the issue either dissapears or is over 50% to 80% improved. When they ask why flipped up sights then show them many go "wow, running my sights up all the time now". Also if making a critical shot in a crowd if my dot and BUIS are both telling me shot is going the same place I feel more confident. It's actually really nice on some optics to have a dot on low power hovering between front and rear sight, mine are set up so dot hovers just on top of front sight post.

Even when hunted down enough inexpensive red dots to top every scoped rifle including long range varmint rifles like my 22 CHeetahs would find something, order one and make sure it was oval shaped at worst but with my glasses most are round if dont go over 4 MOA dot size and 2 MOA dots are always crisp and round. Would buy that first one when involved in the project to top every scope with a red dot and once verified it was round to my eye would then buy a half dozen or more based on price till every scope had a dot on top or on 45° mount sitting beside the scope.

A lot of my red dot as primary optic rifles (especially Vortex Strike Eagles) have found as mentioned above if run the cowitnessed BUIS sights the 4 MOA dot goes from fuzzy to sharp as a tack. My C More Railways with 2 MOA dots are perfectly crisp, good up to 4 MOA but larger dots will start to oval but it's never bad in a C More. SIG Romeo 5s with 2 MOA dots are round even with 3x flip up magnifiers and Romeo 4Ts are crisp with 4x and 5x magnifier behind them.

I can pick up a half dozen different import models in LGS or a bigger metro ATL shop and some will be round, some oval, some figure 8 and some I wouldn't mount on an airsoft if had an airsoft. Need to do your best to try before you buy then when find a brand or style that suits your eye then try to buy a couple extra as their "next generation" upgraded model a few years later will act differently. I found a $99 (price was static everywhere) red dot when trying to put a dot on everything but basically just hit half my scoped rifles starting with most used. Was about 18 months later they were discontinued for another completely redesigned model and the discontinued model dropped to $49 at several vendors so bought like eighteen to twenty (often was buying someone out and six would add to cart but seven would not) to finish that project. A $49 red dot on top of a $2,500 March 5-50x scope seems silly till your trying to find a coyote trying to run away at 25 yards as even finding a moving animal that close in 5x scope can be challenging. If scope dies you have some aiming device but honestly cant remember breaking a scope since stopped buying Nikons except for rimfire.

I really like these reticle choices in a military grade device (USSOCOM, SAS, Foreign Legion and others using 4Ts) that has a 100,000 hour battery life. The lightweight 3x magnifier has 1/3 the glass and less than half the weight of the 4x and gives up some clarity an minor amount of magnification but I like lightweight and minimal clunky unused magnifier hanging off side of rifle when running 1x CQB so the 3x is enough on short barrels.

SIG Romeo 4T 004.jpg
I have two Romeo 4Ts one with each reticle and have yet to declare either a winner as each has features the other doesn't for certain circumstances. In real life choosing one over the other won't be "life and death" decision. My next 4T will go behind my 4x magnifier and trying to decide which reticle I prefer at 4x with significantly more clarity (and weight) assuming it will be a "magnifier up" more than "magnifier down" CQB rifle but when flip down will still be as much 1x red dot quality as need.
SIG Romeo 4T 001.jpg
When buy my next will be a hard choice, 1 MOA center dot of option below doesnt cover more target when a 3x, 4x or 5x magnifier enlarges it, the above sight and center 2 MOA dot gets big magnified 4x but odds when go to a magnifier in the up and locked position will be using the smaller 1 MOA dots below it. A line gives no solid reference point except for verticle but that "plus sign" makes is great for fast CQB and reminding you to keep rifle level. Knowing its length can use the line(s) for range finding as well as the circle.
SIG Romeo 4T 002.jpg
Subtensions aka "MOA count" between center dot and BDC dots which if is something you can remember allows for determining range but if I have flipped up and locked my magnifier odds are high will have slipped my laser range finder off LBE to know distance for sure and see my hold over using my new Garmin watch on my wrist pop up. If not wearing Garmin watch with Applied Ballistics software then odds are high can flip down my admin pouch and see the solution on my smart phone. Only costs $9 to add devices to my plan so a Kyrocera Duraphone with Strelock or Applied Ballistics running has already doped wind from annenometor on shoulder and receives the range for solution instant press the button on range finder. For a 450 yard or longer shot I am taking time to dope or start walking bullets to target.

SIG Romeo 4T 003.png

Obi Wan Nairobi of the SAS after running to his car while shopping to kit up. A Diemarco 7 AR 15 with Romeo 4T terminated all terrorists and saved many lives. Nairobi police nor Kenyan military bothered to enter, they just took up stations outside securing streets and intersections as he ordered so they did not interfere with some "bad looking dude" getting it done in designer jeans.

Obi Wan Nairobi 001.jpg

Toddstang

FALaholic #
Normally I never go cheap on optics, ever.
My astigmatism has gotten worse as I age. So a few of my red dots have become globs instead of dots.
Today, I went cheap, $125 cheap on a green dot from Cyelee, a Wolf 2-G.
So far I'm really impressed. The reviews are what sold me on this. My astigmatism has no issues at all!

nopec

FALaholic #
The only red dot I have with no star flare is an Ultradot from the mid 90s. With Aimploint or any others, just turn the brightness down til the star diminishes. Go bare minimum for zero. What I have discovered is that for rapid target engagement (competition) the star effect doesn’t matter. If it really bugs you look at etched reticles.

STG_58_guy

I'm not this cute IRL
Platinum Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Try installing BUIS that co-witness and keep the peep raised. For whatever reason the peep helps eliminate the star.

I have a LPVO with illuminated dot in center of retical. Not a bit of haze.
Cowitnessed peep will make the star go away but defeats the huge eye box you get with a red dot.

STG_58_guy

I'm not this cute IRL
Platinum Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Keep rear BUIS down until a precision shot may be required?
That works when I try it. I also tried using it up and dealing with the flair in CQB unless I just happened to be lined up. But I'm no operator. I just did some experimenting. Finally, I just went with LPVOs that had a bright setting for the illuminated reticle. But again, you lose the giant red dot eye box. I have both setups now.

Like I said, I'm no operator.