• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Unusual 1911 Magazine

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I have gone through all my digital files where I save photos and information pertaining to anything uncommon in folders applicable to firearm the odd design version of gun, accessory or part is stored and only thing have found with a spring system similar in any way is for airsoft or drum mags. Tomorrow may start into the print library after we finish with morning worship. That will be a chore unless get lucky. Sometimes I regret hauling off all my gun magazines, print advertisements and catalogs when moved from last house to the Ponderosa but it was two full loads of Guns & Ammo, Shooting Times, etc. Add in truck load of SOF and survival magazines, truck load of bicycle, and two truck loads of climbing/outdoor magazines and did not want to start off in new house with enough magazines to fill a bedroom floor fo ceiling with maybe a trail or two for access. Figured it was too much not only to store but to ever try and look through for one piece of information. Kept about one out of every hundred mostly keeping reloading magazines. Maybe the print books will give up something. Have you unrolled spring or removed its "carrier" looking for any markings?

Its unique enough to me even if discovered the Tiawan Army has ten million in storage from Korea era would like to add to my collection. I have some 1911 magazines that sell for more than the import 1911s that are so common these days. Before we discovered cost of wifes eye surgvery I was discussing another custom 1911 with four highly reputable smiths. Two of the four are so busy unless your a mover in the trade, IPSC "grand wizard catagory" world champion or Elon Musk they are not even taking new names on waiting list. Other two said they are on a one year turn around for refreshing guns they built, two year wait for nationally ranked shooters and closer to four/five years out for "Joe Blow".

And people think 1911s are antiquated non "combat technically capable" pistols. SEALs, Deltas, Marine Force Recon, 75th Rangers all still use 1911s when roll into a top secret mission with zero room for failure. Reading an after action report of the raid on Osama Bin Laden compound at one point a sniper working oversight had a close encounter with an enemy and had a female "non combatant" partially blocking the imminent threat so he drew his suppressed 1911 and dealt a DNS shot to the bad guys brain stem. Instantly went from bad guy to a potato sack. While I like my SIG TACOPS 9mms with Osprey 9 suppressor using 147 grain subsonic HPs or 40 Smith TACOPS running Osprey 45 and 200 grain HP subsonic if have to be whisper quiet and for sure do the job my SIG custom shop1911 TACOPS with Atomic's 250 grain Bonded Match Grade 45 ACP Subsonic ammo and my TiRant suppressor will do the tapping. Just wish they could put rubber coating on casings so the didnt ring so loud when hit concrete. Thump of bullet hitting flesh is loudest noise if running suppressor foam but sound of brass "tinging" on concrete is unmistakable give away.

grumpy1

FALaholic #
I have some Mini-14 mags that were made by Eagle Industries back before the Clinton gun ban that use a coil spring like a tape measure. But never have seen a pistol mag like that ne. Good luck on it.

Pluribus

Testudo Sicario & Mediocris Albus Diaboli
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I said Pachmayer in my previous post on this magazine but, I found an old Ramline for my high power and, I think that’s what it is. The spring mechanism on the example I have is broken and the guts been removed so I can’t show it. Well, I could show it sans guts. A friend gave it to me about 15 years ago and I completely forgot about it. I need to buy a standard high power mag spring and try to resurrect it perhaps. I’ll try to locate it again and show what I have left.

Enquiring Minds

Contributor
FALaholic #
I see RIVET-looking thaaangs on a mag, and my gauges swing quickly into the deep yellow, as if in the never-ending push for mfg. cost-reduction, someone started out with a too-thin gauge, and this is Rev 2.0 with the kluge "fix"...

... and I'll bet loading it to the "full" 9 rounds(!) gets problematic real quick... or is that last witness hole just to check if your spring is rusty?

That said, love to hear the mfr. name and any back stories...

TurbineBoiler

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I didn't dare stuff more in it. Looking online...chasing the ramline idea... it seems that an extended floorplate may have been OEM. Like you, I'll continue to, casually, seek the rest of the story. I'd like to find a floorplate that fits. I may just test it without...because.