• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Springfield 1911A1 from K2K ?

yovinny

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
Looking at a Springfield 1911A1 thats from about Y2K and have a question.
Any way to tell a custom shop item from a standard offering at that time frame,, before they had the differently marked slides ?
The thing is,, my uncle ordered and bought said pistol originally. He had a working/vendor relationship with Springfield and ordered this 'custom shop 1911' through his contact, yet it dosent seem to have any stamps or markings on the actual pistol indicating that... ?

Southern 7.62

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Looking at a Springfield 1911A1 thats from about Y2K and have a question.
Any way to tell a custom shop item from a standard offering at that time frame,, before they had the differently marked slides ?
The thing is,, my uncle ordered and bought said pistol originally. He had a working/vendor relationship with Springfield and ordered this 'custom shop 1911' through his contact, yet it dosent seem to have any stamps or markings on the actual pistol indicating that... ?
I’d be interested if it is stamped Imbel on the bottom of the frame, forward of the trigger guard.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I checked mine, nope, no special markings I can see, was bought around then.
Frame is marked Brazil under the grip panel.
Great shooter, feeds anything, including flying trash cans.:)LOL

yovinny

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
My frame is marked ' F I Brazil ' in front of the guard.
Havent pulled the grips to know if anything is under there.
Only put a mag through it for function check and all seems good,, but the Novak night sights are dead..
Limited info I found said serial prefix is as follows... WW=standard model.. N= upgraded or special models...NM= custom shop model.
Mine is an N prefix,, Its not intended for sale at this time.. I'll post up a pic..

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #

That's what mine looks like, except blued.
Far Better shooters right out of the box than my Gold Cups,,,,which seemed to have spent more time at the smiths place than mine.
Only thing I did to mine, was to clean up the trigger a little, but it was more than serviceable right out of the box.

yovinny

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
The trigger on this one is very nice, but I bought it more because of the history.
My uncle bought this for my cousin, right when his call up came after 911... So it went to Afghanistan with him,, though I cant remember if he was with 5th or 7th group at that time and we lost touch a few years ago.. Im just glad I was able to keep it in the family so to speak... ;)

garandguy10

FALaholic #
The trigger on this one is very nice, but I bought it more because of the history.
My uncle bought this for my cousin, right when his call up came after 911... So it went to Afghanistan with him,, though I cant remember if he was with 5th or 7th group at that time and we lost touch a few years ago.. Im just glad I was able to keep it in the family so to speak... ;)
That appears to be a Springfield Armory Inc. Model PX9109. I think they called it the "Loaded" model at the time. It looks pretty good considering it went to Afghanistan.

Trooper894

FALaholic #
Yovinny, There is a very high likelyhood that those sights have Trijicon lamps in them. If you can look at them under a good magnifier and they have a white butyl rubber around the lamps, they are likely Trijicons. If they are, Trijicon will re-lamp them for $19 per lamp (price may have gone up). You just have to go to their website to request a Return Authorization Number and pay the shipping to Trijicon. The re-lamping price includes return shipping.

TerryN

FALaholic #
FWIW, I once emailed Springfield and inquired about the highly hyped 'NM' serial number prefix. According to them, it means absolutely nothing special. It was just two random letters that they assigned to that serial number block. I prefer to believe Springfield, rather than Internet lore.

yovinny

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
Yovinny, There is a very high likelyhood that those sights have Trijicon lamps in them. If you can look at them under a good magnifier and they have a white butyl rubber around the lamps, they are likely Trijicons. If they are, Trijicon will re-lamp them for $19 per lamp (price may have gone up). You just have to go to their website to request a Return Authorization Number and pay the shipping to Trijicon. The re-lamping price includes return shipping.
Thank you,, That is welcome news and I'll have to dig it back out and check. If it does, it simplifies the path to working night sights again,,, though I might replace the front sight anyway. With my failing close up eye sight,, I've grown very fond of the newer overzize green dot type of front night sights.

yovinny

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
Dosent seem like trigicon is going to work.
Rear says Novaks pat.xxxxx and lamps look to be aluminum encapsulated. Front sight dosent show one way or the other, as it seems to be inserted from the front and epoxied over, while the lamp itself is only visible through a smaller hole that covers any sight of its housing.

Trooper894

FALaholic #
Dosent seem like trigicon is going to work.
Rear says Novaks pat.xxxxx and lamps look to be aluminum encapsulated. Front sight dosent show one way or the other, as it seems to be inserted from the front and epoxied over, while the lamp itself is only visible through a smaller hole that covers any sight of its housing.
I still think those are Trijicon lamps. I have 3 SA pistols from about the same era and they all had Trijicon lamps in the "Novak" sights. I got the RA's and sent them in and got them back with brand new tubes. If they examine them and determine they are not actually Trijicon lamps the only thing you are out is the shipping cost. All you need to send in is the slide so you don't have to worry about the whole "shipping a firearm" thing. I always ship mine out wrapped in that gray/black water pipe foam wrap you get at the hardware store with a tag attached with all my info and the RA number on it and ship via Priority Mail fully insured. I've had them do about 12 or 15 sets so far and have 2 or 3 more to send in.

Parga

FALaholic #
My frame is marked ' F I Brazil ' in front of the guard.
Havent pulled the grips to know if anything is under there.
Only put a mag through it for function check and all seems good,, but the Novak night sights are dead..
Limited info I found said serial prefix is as follows... WW=standard model.. N= upgraded or special models...NM= custom shop model.
Mine is an N prefix,, Its not intended for sale at this time.. I'll post up a pic..
The earliest Springfield 1911s all had NM prefixed SNs. Later on(after they reorganized I believe) did the prefixes change. N prefix reflected the gun being built in Brazil, the NM prefix guns were milled and finished in the US