• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

New Hi Power

wanneroo

FALaholic #
I talked to someone in the gun industry that I have known for years. Asked him about availability on the HI Power and it's scarce.

One thing he told me was Springfield was bringing back the M1 Garand next year. He said demand for the Garand is high and supplies of the surplus is drying up, making it worthwhile to make new ones.

lew

FALaholic #
I talked to someone in the gun industry that I have known for years. Asked him about availability on the HI Power and it's scarce.

One thing he told me was Springfield was bringing back the M1 Garand next year. He said demand for the Garand is high and supplies of the surplus is drying up, making it worthwhile to make new ones.
A new-production M1 in .308 would be enticing... I have no desire to add .30-06.

Steve in Allentown PA

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
There have been anecdotal reports of extractor failures beginning at around 800 rounds down the tube. The presumed cause is poorly manufactured extractor springs that weaken quickly. Springfield is going to have to jack up whoever is supplying those springs.

raubvogel

Contributor
FALaholic #
There have been anecdotal reports of extractor failures beginning at around 800 rounds down the tube. The presumed cause is poorly manufactured extractor springs that weaken quickly. Springfield is going to have to jack up whoever is supplying those springs.
Are they being cast in Chinesium?

JDK15

FALaholic #
If you guys are looking for a real Belgian hi power, R Guns in Illinois is selling police surplus ones on gunbroker. Just picked mine up from my dealer. 1986 production, well used but not beat to hell. Winning bid was $511 (ended up closer to $600 total with shipping, taxes, fees). All of the ‘80s production ones he sold last week were sub $600.

398B7201-3643-4432-96E5-3634159C7147.jpeg

1911Ron

FALaholic #
On another forum another reason was brought up that the groove for the extractor was machined to tight and when it got gunked up the problem showed up,another idea was a combination of both.

Story

FALaholic #
Ran into a FTE on the FEG9 copy of the High Power. There's a little coil spring that works the extractor.

If you 1) file/polish the edges of the extractor and 2) get the next size smaller coil spring, making a spring-within-a-spring, that gives it enough muscle to flip the empties out satisfactorarlies.

ExCdnSoldierInTx

Don’t California my Texas!
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
I’ve basically accepted that the CZ75 has become pretty much the ultimate HP outgrowth, and other than for simple nostalgic reasons, why would I drop another K on a gun that’ll go straight to the safe?

My ancient Inglis, complete with the old internal extractor, still runs like a champ when needed.

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
.... why would I drop another K on a gun that’ll go straight to the safe?

My ancient Inglis, complete with the old internal extractor, still runs like a champ when needed.
I won't, that's why I won't buy a collectors item or pay collector prices for a shooter. I'll get the SA or a well used FN, FM, FEG, whatever.

Right Side Up

FALaholic #
I read on castboolits a post by a member that just got one. The front of the barrel has .013” clearance in the slide. That’s going to really hurt accuracy and could have been set up a closer with today’s CNC tolerances. He measured the trigger pull at 7 pounds, IIRC.

No way I’ll consider one if these if it needs a Bar-Sto barrel and a trigger job to be a decent gun.

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I read on castboolits a post by a member that just got one. The front of the barrel has .013” clearance in the slide. That’s going to really hurt accuracy and could have been set up a closer with today’s CNC tolerances. He measured the trigger pull at 7 pounds, IIRC.

No way I’ll consider one if these if it needs a Bar-Sto barrel and a trigger job to be a decent gun.
.013? Just how detrimental to accuracy are we talking? Isn't this a run of the mill range shooter/carry gun? The tighter the tolerance the higher the price and sometimes the less reliable. Super tight guns can be made reliable but typically not for small money.

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Again, we alreD
ady have thr CZ75, which is basically a perfected HP, and they sell like hot cakes. Can the market even handle another SA 9?
Opinions vary, mine is as follows. The HP is a John Browning design perfected and made by FNH, the CZ isn't.
I like the lines of the HP better than the CZ. I want the HP as a family companion to my other FN based items.
I won't argue the attributes of the CZ against the HP, I simply don't want a CZ so any possible attributes for it's adoption are moot. I wouldn't mind having a CZ75 in the collection at all but at the cost of the HP, no thanks. Besides, Mike won't let me shoot a CZ in the 2022 KY match.
Maybe I'll get both.

As far as the market response to "another" SA 9, I've noticed lately single stack, single action 9mm pistols are making a bit of an unexpected come back.