• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

I like 1911s

DK

Cereal Killer
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I like 'em too... most of the Colt's I've had have needed a little massaging, but I like to tinker so it's all good. Usually get rid of the sights for some Novak low profile, or some Trijicon/Meprolight nightsights, then trigger job, polish everything inside; I like Videcki triggers (long) and flat checkered mainspring housings. Have no use for front serrations. Speaking of serrations, does anyone else prefer the old style vertical rear serrations to the angled serrations that have become de riguer?

I don't like shiny, plated 1911's (they scream "pimp gun"), and as we know, seriously dangerous men prefer black. I like to smooth up all the hard edges and have the finished work Black T'd by Birdsong, or done in black Rogaurd.

Hate Pachmayer grips on 1911's, makes 'em feel chunky. I like cocobolo grip panels in the classic double diamond pattern, or black micarta. I usually stipple the front staps as well for better grip.

Had BUNCHES of these, and they are probably my favorite "customizable" handgun.

Oldest one I have is from 1907 (pre1911) and was one of the original 200 Army trials guns, not a commercial model. Ser #1xx :shades:

DK

RungSat65

FALaholic #
I guess I like 1911 types! Let's see, by age Remington Rand, a series 70, a Randall service model, Randall raider model, a Delta Elite, a Delta Elite Gold Cup, then there is the Springfield ultra compact,and this years Christmas present a Taurus PT1911. I know I have the disease--question is how fatal?:biggrin:

DK

Cereal Killer
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
AndyC said:

Whoa... :uhoh: :bow:

Any pics?
Was left to me by my Grandfather. When he acquired it, a former owner had replaced the checkered walnut stocks with these made from lucite or something similar. The left side stock is cracked, and apparantly the same previous owner removed the lanyard ring to aid his homebrew grip stock replacements.

Most of the finish is gone, small pitting here and there. Not too bad at all for a pistol that's 101 years old... Of note is the fact that these had no thumb saftey. Indeed, the ONLY saftey is the slim grip saftey. The mag release is on the heel in the typical European style, and the slide stop is somewhat unique. No barrel bushing, and an external extractor.

This one went to Troop H, 4th US Cavalry, FT. Snelling, MN for evaluation. Don't have any idea how it made it's way to my Grandfather. He literally on his deathbed left all his firearms and tools to me.

I'll sell my right nut/kidney/arm/etc. before I ever think of getting rid of this one. He kept it in a rag under the floormat of his 65 GMC pickup w/ camper in the back. That pistol rode all over the US and Canada as a very early CCW :D

DK

Last edited:

AndyC

Porridge Wog, Contributor
FALaholic #
DK said:
I'll sell my right nut/kidney/arm/etc. before I ever think of getting rid of this one. He kept it in a rag under the floormat of his 65 GMC pickup w/ camper in the back. That pistol rode all over the US and Canada as a very early CCW :D

DK
Fascinating - thanks for the pics and the story behind it. Got any kids you're gonna leave it to or...? :wink: :rofl:

DK

Cereal Killer
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
You volunteering? ;)

Actually, it will probably go to my son; he's my grandfather's namesake, so I figured it made sense. I'm keeping up with it until then. He's also set to get a Colt 1991A1 Gov't Model, that was highly polished and blued, lo-mount Bomar's, beavertail, Videcki long trigger, trigger job, rails tightened, etc. etc. The work was done by Jim Stroh of Alpha Precsion and set aside by my Dad for the boy.

DK

DK

Cereal Killer
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Here's a couple of lousy pics of the 1991A1... what's most notable to me about this one, is my Dad picked a pistol that came parkerized from the factory to have the high polished blue applied to. Stroh thought Dad had lost his mind, but hey, it's only money :)

DK:D

owlcreekok

FALaholic #
Thanks for sharing, DK. Admiring a 1911 like that gives me the same warm feeling that a good smooth single malt and the coo of a beautiful woman does.

There's no other beautiful woman but my wife and there's no other pistol but a 1911.

:whiskey:

PS- There is a fundamental difference in a pistol and a revolver, just so the unititiated can refer back. :shades:

DK

Cereal Killer
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Though the 1991A1 is a series 80 pistol w/ the extra firing pin saftey, Stroh gave this one such a fine trigger (breaks right at 4lbs, no creep, no slop), it bests most or at least rivals the finest trigger jobs I've felt on series 70 Colts. If done right, there is no need to fear the firing pin saftey of the series 80 in regards to trigger pull.

DK

owlcreekok

FALaholic #
I can assume it is safe to say that the weight of that pistol in one's hand feels as though one is ARMED ?

The trigger, while not "oh so deliberate", is not likened unto the slipping of a fingernail off the edge of a recalcitrant tupperware lid ?

Just asking . :angel:

okay, I admit it, I am hoping the Glock dullards will pick up on my jabs, but I doubt it.