• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

How to spot a converted Mac90

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I've never seen a factory MAK90 folder in the US either, so far. I would be suspect of any underfolder. They can be converted right with the right parts and I'm good with that. But then you have 922 to consider if you care.

Hacksaw830

Contributor
FALaholic #
This may sound like a tall one but I bought a brand new MAK90 with a hole in the reciever, from a gunshop in Birmingham Al, right after the ban was implemented, it had two big washers on each side and a bolt covering the hole, had a thumbhole stock , it must have been one of the first mak90s , I remember getting an underfolder for it out of shotgun news.
I traded it to a friend for a S&w 686. About 30 years ago.

I think, I paid 179 or 199 for that Mak90, of course an SKS was $79

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Yes, there were MAK90 receivers that started life intended as an under folder. They are easy to spot because they have the stamped recesses in the rear of the receiver but they are blind, usually have some sort of plate riveted in place. Here's an example of one with plenty of good pics.

AliYahu

FALaholic #
I recall seeing a few MAK-90s with the under-folding stocks folded, a tang welded in, and a thumbhole stock! And a LOT of thumbhole guns with plugs where the underfolder should have been. Of course, I also saw countless thumbhole guns that were factory select-fire, some L and D marked and some with ideographs...

Eli

cjjtulsa

FALaholic #
I converted one a while back, and have since sold it. Receiver just had a plate added that was easily removed, and the underfolder stock installed. I believe they also added a tang for the thumbhole stock that you cut off as well. Easy conversion. The MAKs and NHMs are post-ban.