• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

CMP 1911A1 -Range Grade

Tiberius

FALaholic #
When Round 4 of the CMP lottery was announced I sent in a packet Day 1 (9/1), expecting I would have months to accumulate the money. Not so. 😳 I got my RGN (22163) on 10/10, and the call on 10/27. All grades were available, I chose a Range Grade, as word on the Forums is that FOIA requests on these pistols is coming back with hits on SF units and Iraq service. I figured I would take a shot and order one. Yesterday, I got it out of gun jail (shit 3 day waiting period here), this is what I got.

A Colt produced in 1942, with matching slide through some miracle. Augusta Arsenal and Anniston (4/78) rebuild Marks. The sights were replaced with white dot sights, and trigger, (possibly) hammer and mainspring housing were replaced As well as Houge wraparound grips installed. Barrel has no markings other than .45 ACP on it, dunno if it’s original or even GI. The inside of the slide and feed ramp in the frame show some work was done. I’m pretty sure a trigger job was also done. The only real external wear is on and around the lanyard loop. It doesn’t look to have been shot a lot since it’s last rebuild. I’m going to put in a FOIA request to see what I can learn.

Seems to me if these pistols can be tied to SF units in the early GWOT they could be collectible in their own right, though the modifications would turn off a purist. I’m going to go shoot it today and see how it goes.

Hope this helps anyone considering a Range grade, I’m pretty happy with this one. It surprises me how CMP‘s ad copy implies they are bubbified junk when that just isn’t the case.

6530E168-C785-42C7-B9C9-11E7E7BF4663.jpeg

CFA23B02-2FA2-4F9D-AC3C-A0F2FAB0DE08.jpeg

9D0FE268-981B-4A9B-9654-8B581A1A1E5A.jpeg